Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ashley Stoyanoff's Review : Call of the Vampire By Gayla Twist

★ASHLEY STOYANOFF'S REVIEW ★
Call of the Vampire by Gayla Twist 



Title: Call of the Vampire (The Vanderlind Castle Series, #1)
Author: Gayla TwistNumber of 

Pages: 164 

Genre: YA Adult, Paranormal Romance

Shelf: Books I Bought
Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads: Here
Purchase: Here
Authors Website: Here

Summary from Goodreads:

Aurora Keys has dreamed of the Vanderlind Castle ever since she was a little girl. But the fiercely private Vanderlinds keep the massive structure strictly off limits to visitors. Until one night, the wealthy family throws a party—not just a small soiree, but a huge black-tie affair. No one from the town of Tiburon, Ohio, is invited—not even the mayor. But Aurora’s best friend, Blossom, has a foolproof plan for the two of them to sneak in.

At first, everything
goes smoothly: the girls enter the castle undetected, and there is free champagne. But then the handsome Jessie Vanderlind sweeps Aurora into his arms, crushing her to his chest and whispering, “I knew you’d come back to me.” 

Aurora understands it is a case of mistaken identity, but she feels connected to him somehow. And the boy is so beautiful, she believes she would be happy if he never let her go.

Once Jessie realizes he is mistaken, his smile quickly changes to a scowl. “You must leave,” he tells her in a low, urgent voice. “Immediately. Come! I’ll find a way to get you out.”


Unbeknownst to Aurora and Blossom, they have snuck into the home of one of the most prestigious vampire families in the world, and it is doubtful the two young women will ever be allowed to leave. Aurora’s resemblance to Jessie Vanderlind’s lost love just may be the only thing keeping them alive.


My Review:
Mystery, vampires, budding romance, and some good action.  Call of the Vampire was definitely an entertaining read.

Well, the blurb sets up this story perfectly so I’ll get straight to the review.  Aurora was easy to love.  I loved her personality and couldn’t help but cheer her on.  She’s one of those characters that you really, really want an HEA for.  She’s sweet, caring, strong, fiercely loyal … Aurora is perfect best friend material.   I connected with her right from the first page, and gladly followed her through this adventure.

The mystery behind the castle sucked me in right away.  Within a few pages, I wanted to sneak in right along with Aurora and Blossom.  And I’m glad I did.  Sneaking into the castle with the girls was when I got to meet Jessie.  I really enjoyed Jessie’s character.  He had compassion, but in the end, he was still a vampire.

The secondary characters were also strong.  Twist took care to give each one of them their own unique personality, and gave me enough about them that I cared for each one. The needed back story was there, not just for the secondary characters, but for the overall plot as well.  This story followed nicely right until the end.

The only thing I was left wishing for at the end was that I really would have liked to see more happen between Aurora and Jessie in the romance department.  There was an undeniable connection between them that I loved, and although the moments when they were together were overall interesting, and the information revealed was important, those moments could have been so much more.  With that said, this is only the first book in the series so maybe (hopefully) it will come.

Call of the Vampire was a great start to what I’m sure will be an entertaining series.  I would definitely recommend it to all you YA vampire lovers out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks So much for Stopping by!
I'd loved to get your Feedback!
=)