Saturday, September 28, 2013

Ashley Stoyanoff's Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

★Ashley Stoyanoff's Review★
~City of Bones~
The Mortal Instruments #2
By Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Number of Pages: 453
Publication Info: Margaret K. McElderry Books (Mar 2009)Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy
Shelf: Books I BoughtRating: ★★★

Goodreads: Here
Purchase: Here
 Authors Website: Here

~Summary from Goodreads~
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

~My Review~
Once again, Cassandra Clare sucked me into the pages of her Shadowhunter world, and refused to let me go.  City of Ashes was absolutely enthralling.

So what did I love about this book?  Jace.  Yep, I loved Jace.  I loved his attitude.  Sure he had his jerkish moments, but I still loved him.


So what did I love about this book?  Jace.  Yep, I loved Jace.  I loved his attitude.  Sure he had his jerkish moments, but I still loved him.

“I've heard the word 'fear'. I simply choose to believe it doesn't apply to me.” 
― 
Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes

And because I made my sister spoil certain parts for me after I finished reading City of Bonesthe whole Jace and Clary being brother and sister thing didn’t bother me as much.

Something inside Clary cracked and broke, and words came pouring out. What do you want me to tell you? The truth? The truth is that I love Simon like I should love you, and I wish he was my brother and you weren't, but I can't do anything about that and neither can you!” ― Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes


Well, okay, maybe that’s not entirely true.  After reading that snippet, I hated the twist even more, but at least this time I didn’t want to throw the book across the room.  :)  I can’t wait to see what happens with them in the next book.

As for the writing style, all I can say is it was wonderful.  Just like City of Bones, Clare’sdescriptions are vivid, and her dialogue, fresh.  She really brings the characters and world to life.

So my final thoughts on this book … LOVE IT.  It was so much better than the first.  I’ll definitely be continuing on with this series.


1 comment:

  1. I loved this book. And that kiss... oh that kiss! I swear I felt as if I was the one kissing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks So much for Stopping by!
I'd loved to get your Feedback!
=)