Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ashley Stoynaoff's Review: Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

★ASHLEY STOYNAOFF'S REVIEW

Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica #2By Beth Fantaskey


Title: Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica #2
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Number of Pages: 320
Publication Info: Graphia (Jan 2013)Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance

Shelf: Books I BoughtRating: ★★★★

GoodReads:Here
Purchuse: Here

Authors Website: Here



Summary from Goodreads
“I should sue the people who designed the My Little Pony Crystal Rainbow Castle I played with in kindergarten. They led me to believe that castles were filled with rainbows and cupcakes and pastel-pink furniture. Not stone and fire and . . . blood.”
Eighteen-year-old Jessica Packwood is having a hard enough time feeling regal with her new vampire husband, Lucius. But when he’s charged with murder, Jessica’s suddenly on her own. She knows that with no blood to drink, Lucius’s time is running out. Can she figure out who the real killer is—and who she can trust—before it’s too late?



My Review:

 After reading Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side Iran out right away to pick up this sequel, and it did notdisappoint.  Jessica and Lucius are now married (you canread the story of their wedding for free on the authors’website), and Jessica is trying to fit into her new role as aprincess.   Since the blurb pretty much covers everything, I’lljust get right to the review.

I have to admit, I knew who the real killer was pretty muchright away.  It seemed glaringly obvious, but even with that,the story was great.  This segment was darker, with lessromance, and more mystery. I felt like Jess took a step back in this novel.  By the end ofJessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, she really grewinto a strong and determined girl.  I still loved her character,but it just seemed…weaker in this segment.  With that said,she grew and took control and by the end, I was cheering forher.  What a transformation!
My favorite part of this book was the secondary story withMindy and Raniero.  I loved getting a glimpse of the other characters and really hope there is more to come of their story.  

Even though there were a few things that bothered me, I didread it in a day, so it clearly kept my interest.  The overall allstory was exactly what I had expected.  It was fun, quick,packed with action and suspense.  I giggled, cringed, and myheart fluttered in spots.  The writing flowed smoothly, andthe descriptions were great.



But…here’s where it lost a star for me.  It was all thoseexclamation marks.  People would be whispering and thenthe dialogue would end with an exclamation mark.  I foundthis happening most with Dorin, who was perpetuallynervous and jittery, basically scared of his own shadow.  Attimes, I even re-read parts because I was imagining quitewhispers, and felt like I had completely missed the context of the dialogue. But, this could just be me.


Overall, this was a great read, and I cannot wait for more ofJessica and Lucius.  If you are looking for a fun a quick read then this series is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks So much for Stopping by!
I'd loved to get your Feedback!
=)