Monday, October 1, 2012

Author Interview with Ashley Stoyanoff.

Author Interview

With Ashley Stoyanoff, author of The Soul's Mark:FOUND





Where are you from?

I grew up in a little town in the middle of nowhere called Boulter. But now, I live in Whitby, Ontario, which is on the outskirts of Toronto with my husband Jordan and my two cats, Tanzy and Trinity.


Tell us your latest news?

I’m super excited. The Soul’s Mark: HUNTED is coming! It’s on track to be released in December 2012.


When and why did you start writing?

For as long as I can remember I loved to write. I’ve always found it therapeutic, whether it’s a diary entry, a story or just jotting down random thoughts.


When did you first consider yourself a writer?

The first time I thought of myself as a writer was when I published my first novel, The Soul’s Mark: FOUND, and sold the very first copy. For me, there was just something about that first sale that made the whole journey official.


What inspired you to write The Soul's Mark: FOUND?

My biggest inspiration and influence would have to be my Mom. If it wasn’t for her, I probably would have never finished The Soul’s Mark: FOUND. When I got stuck on a plot twist, or a character name, or really anything I needed to talk through she was there. She encouraged me along the way, and her belief that I could write pushed me through all the bumps in the road.


How did you come up with the title?

The title just sort of popped into my head. I had just finished reading my third, or maybe it was my fourth draft, and out of the blue, a little voice in my head hollered, The Soul’s Mark: FOUND. Immediately, I know it was the perfect title to describe the book.



Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

No matter what destiny throws your way, remember who you are. Don’t let others try to change you; you are worth fighting for.




Do you resemble any of the characters?

I’d have to say that every character in my books resembles some piece of me. But, if I were to compare myself to one character, it would have to be Mitchell. I’m pig headed, assertive, fiercely loyal, and I know I’m always right.




Are some experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Definitely. Amelia’s grouchy morning personality and Angelle’s overly chipper attitude were actually built around my morning coffees with one of my nauseatingly sunny co-worker (and a very close friend).

There was one morning in particular that started it. I woke up in a horrid mood. The sun was shining. The birds were chirping but no matter how wonderful everything around me was I felt like a crazy person. Of course, when I got to work, my co-worker was in her usual good mood. It was absolutely sickening how happy and bubbly she was at 7:30 in the morning and all I wanted to do was yell and stomp my feet and tell her not to be so bloody cheery.

When I finally sat down to write that day, I found myself thinking about how my co-worker knew she was driving me crazy but still kept pushing until I smiled at one of her absurd jokes. Before I knew it, I had weaved that experience into my characters lives.



Have you always been a Fan of paranormal literature?

Actually, no, I haven’t. For the longest time, the only author I would read was Jude Deveraux who writes mostly adult romance. It wasn’t until I got caught up in the Twilight Saga world that I became a huge fan of paranormal literature. Now, I just can’t get enough of it.



Was there anything in particular that sparked your interest in vampires?

It was Twilight (the books, not the movies) that really got me into the whole vampire thing. After that, I read anything and everything I could get my hands on with a vampire theme. Some of my favorites are Morganville Vampires Series by Rachel Caine, My Blood Approves Series by Amanda Hocking, and Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris.



What books, if any have most influenced your writing?

I don’t think there is any specific book that most influenced my writing; rather every book I read has had an influence. I literally read everything I can get by hands on and with each book I figure out a little more about myself, my style, things I may want to try, or things that just don’t do it for me.


What's your favorite book & why?

This is a tough one.  There are so many on my favorite list that it’s hard to pick just one.  But if I could read one book for the rest of my life, it would be Glass House by Rachel Caine.  The cast of characters in this first book of the Morganville Vampire Series sucked me in.  It’s been a few months since the last time I read it, and I can still visualize every single one so clearly that it seems like it was only yesterday that I had the book in my hands.


What book/s are you reading now?

Right now I’m reading Faelorehn by Jenna Elizabeth Johnsonand next up is The Forever Girl: Sophia's Journey by Rebecca Hamilton.  After that I’ll be reading Wake by Amanda Hocking.  When it comes to books, I’m an obsessive over planner and could actually list the next 30 on my TBR shelf in order.




Are there any indie authors that have grasped your interest?

This year I challenged myself to read 25 Indie books between July and December 2012, and I’ve found so many great authors.   But, there are two in particular that I’m dying for more from: D.C. Belton, author of The Gods Among us and Christina Smith, author of Fated Dreams.  After reading all of their published work, they have both made it onto my favorite authors list.


If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest novel The Souls Mark: HUNTED ?

I wish I could say no, but the truth is yes, I probably would change something.  Every time I re-read one of my stories I think of another awesome scene that could be added or another twist I could throw in.



Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Definitely Amanda Hocking. I’ve never picked up one of her books and been disappointed. One of the best things about her work is the dialogue. No two characters ever sound the same and each character seems to always have one of those unforgettable lines.



Who designed the new covers?
The wonderful artwork for my covers was illustrated by Alyaqadhan Alghafri.


"I'd like to Send a Big Thank You To Ashley for popping by for a chat!


Lace, xx"


To Find out more about Ashley's Check out her Website: Here 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Lace,

    Thank you for having me today. :)

    Happy reading everyone!

    Ashley Stoyanoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Christina. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete

Thanks So much for Stopping by!
I'd loved to get your Feedback!
=)